- Care about things. Show it. Be funny, barbed, and pointed when needed. Slick is easy; don’t be slick.
- Confidence and arrogance will both protect you when people yell at you. One is vital and one is poisonous.
- Learn to be your own devil’s advocate. Interrogate your own arguments. Interrogate your point of view.
- Successful writers can play loud and soft and can make a variety of harsh and gentle sounds, just like great musicians.
- Look at the people whose careers you admire and think about their paths. Don’t assume you want the fast lane.
- If you are read widely, you will get blowback, no matter what. Don’t let it paralyze you, but don’t reflexively blow it off.
- If you try to make your fortune creating controversy, then even if it works, you’ll be expected to keep doing it.
- Being young doesn’t make you dumb or smart, important or irrelevant. But you’ll be a different writer in 20 years.
- “Win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press’ll think you’re colorful.” Obey deadlines and house style.
- You are entitled to be wrong, to feel embarrassed, to feel like a jerk, and to keep writing anyway.
[as told by NPR’s Linda Holmes]
We are (I am, really) looking for a great, enthusiastic, book nerd of an Events and Marketing Intern for this fall. Apply at the link above! You’ll help out with events in the store, social media, and a podcast project we are working on. (Related: Can anyone out there teach me how to make a podcast?)
Great opportunity right here, NYC folks!
The Obama campaign worked with Square to develop a custom-built mobile payment app for Obama For America, and gave Fast Company a first look. The app is currently available to staff and will be available in the Store in the near future. See more->
Help Name Newsweek Deputy Managing Editor Paula Szuchman’s Baby!
Our Deputy Managing Editor Paula Szuchman is pregnant. Like, really pregnant! It’s time to name the baby (it’s a girl!). She’s open to suggestions, any really, and mentioned in the morning meeting she’d love it if you guys would help her out. So take a look at this here momma and try and think reeeeeally hard what this baby wants to be named. Send us your suggestion with a reblog, message, or tweet (use #NamePaulasBaby) and we’ll have some kind of vote early next week. OK, go!
It started with Andrew Sullivan asking Hitchens to to write a letter to the Immigration Services sponsoring me to finally become a permanent resident of the United States.
Christopher Hitchens emailed:
Safely in the US mail. I managed to say that your faith had allowed you to extend a warm…
Dogfish Head teamed up with “cinemagraph”-makers Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg to document the process of creating their new gluten-free brew. Check out more of these gorgeous gifs here!
I’ve seen 1/2 a dozen bars on the LES closed for a few nights by cops over the last few months due to underage drinking. As a resident… can’t say I’m sad. It’s turning into a complete zoo down here.
Dunstan School (Taken with Instagram at Dunstan School Restaurant)